Its a little bit after midnight, and I find myself up thinking, as usual, about my weight. But this time its a little different. I am thinking about my households diet habits.
I watched a little clip from Jillian Michael's "Lose it with Jillian" show on her website, and it shows the difference between using a little bit of Pam Cooking Spray and using Olive/Vegetable/Cooking oil and how heavy and bad for you it is. This set me off thinking about how I eat and how my hubs eats as well.
If you have met my husband, you will know that he is NOT overweight in any sense of the word. He is fairly tall (6') and somewhere around 170lbs. Not an extra pound on him. However: he lives a lifestyle like someone who is over weight. He eats fast food, fries everything, and eats pretty unhealthily unless I am home cooking for him. (I have had to show him how to make a energy filled lunch for work before. He didn't understand the phrase "empty calories".) And his exercise extends as far as the end of the day bell for work. Mind you, his job is incredibly physically demanding, yet he does not exert the effort out side of work to exercise. (NOTE: I am not dogging him about not exercising, I am simply making a point, so bear with me.)
Brian and I have basically the same diet and exercise level, yet, I pack on the lbs, where he, just stores a couple extra that he could burn off with one day of riding his dirt bike or a week of doing some sit ups. Why is this? What is the difference between man and woman that causes women to store our body fat instead of burning through it like men do?
I have a theory. We are supposed to be busier then our men. Think about it. 100 years ago, even if men were working construction or something, women were running around after the kids, cooking, cleaning and generally keeping order of our households, and it didn't stop when the husband came home. It continued, making sure he was taken care of as well. Here is another theory: labour. It makes so much sense. At the base of our physical purpose, women are made to procreate. A 1000 years ago, that's all women were for, makin babies. (No hating on this, its true and we all know it.) YES, society has since changed, but our bodily functions have not. Having bore a beautiful baby girl last year, I realized that my metabolism has slowed down. I believe it is because, now that my body knows that I am of child bearing ability, it knows it needs to start storing up energy reserves for me.
If you add the first 2 theories together, you will get my final theory: that our bodies are supposed to burn more, there for it stores more so we can stay reasonably healthy and energetic to keep up with the demands of our families. Makes so much sense to me.
Well, that is my random, silly thought for the day on weight. Probably makes no sense to anyone else but me. :D Oh well. This is probably nothing new to anyone else, but the thought was crossing my mind as I got ready to head to bed.
I hope you have a busy, calorie burning day tomorrow, and lots of lovely relaxing dreams tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment